Wednesday 13 September 2017

Germany 2

GERMANY - 2
Saturday 26th - Friday 31st August 2017



I crossed the border into Germany and spent a week cycling South-West through Schleswig-Holstein and Nieder Sachsen (Lower Saxony) to Holland. As the weather was fairly good, except for one day, I decided to press on and had several long days in the saddle, mainly riding on cycle paths. It was also good to be back in a country where I can speak the language, albeit not fluently, and Lucy sulked as she hasn't mastered German.

Sunday 27th August



I stopped for my first Kaffee und Kuchen at a windmill cafe which was full of  Sunday cyclists, mainly riding electric-assist bikes, and Lucy played in the garden. Then I visited some German war memorials in Schwabsted and had a meal overlooking the River Treene. Everything seemed so cheap after the prices in Iceland and Denmark. 



Monday 28th August

I cycled along ditches and canals following quiet lanes and cycle paths in Schleswig-Holstein as I made my way SW towards the Elbe. I stopped frequently to read the information signs along the way to learn more about the history of the area. Lucy was fascinated by the stories of the 'Witches of the Marshes' and read that     Meye Mühl, who was sentenced to death in 1619 for poisoning cattle and riding a black horse through the air, was one of 853 people sentenced for witchcraft in Schleswig and Holstein between 1530 and 1735.



Three days of Canals, Rivers and Ferries
Tuesday 28th  - Thursday 31st August 



I caught several ferries to cross canals and rivers, the first being a ferry across the Nordostseekanal. I sat for a while watching the traffic on this kanal and several large container ships passed by. Lucy couldn't believe that this wide stretch of water was a canal. One day the cycle path ended at a busy road junction that cyclists were forbidden to use. The map showed that the cycle path started again on the other side but I couldn't work out the best way to get there. A car stopped and the driver gave me some directions, then he spoke to a woman who was standing outside her house. She went inside and came out with her bicycle and led me about 3 kms so that I could rejoin the path. It was really good of her, everyone has been so kind and helpful while I have been away. 



I reached the Elbe on Tuesday afternoon and cycled along the banks to Glückstadt where I crossed by ferry early on Wednesday morning to cycle to Bremerhaven. It felt more like being at sea than on a river crossing as you could hardly see the opposite bank. Lucy is very proud of her Icelandic sweater and decided to wear it  on all the ferries.This is her waiting patiently for the early ferry on Thursday morning to cross the River Wesser. The Pied Piper lead the rats into this river, but I haven't quite finished the sketch of Lucy doing the same.



This ferry was a floating platform with only a chain at either end to stop you falling off. Lucy kept well hidden as she was scared of toppling into the water. 



Heavy rain - Thursday 31st August



Heavy rain and thunder storms were forecast for my last full day cycling in Germany, so I sorted out my wwaterproof trousers, which I only wore  twice on the whole trip. I suggested that Lucy looked for hers and after a lot of searching she appeared with her cape and waterproof hat to which, for some reason, she had attached horns.



Luckily I found cycle shelters on the cycle paths to eat my lunch etc and the rain stopped by the time I arrived in the pretty market town of Westerstede, where I spent my last evening in Germany. 



To the Dutch Border
Friday 1st September



The forecast was good so I set out early for a long ride through Neider Sachsen to The Netherlands. I made good progress and when I checked the map I realised that I should have enough time to cycle through Holland to catch the ferry on the 6th. Lucy loves going into new countries and insisted on wearing her orange sweater that she wore when she was supporting the Dutch ladies football team in the Euro Championships last month. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment